15 Mar 2008

Etruscan Dictionary Draft 008 now available


Here is the 8th draft of my Etruscan Dictionary, available free to download:


Yes, resistence is futile. My philosophy is that being self-sufficient and productive is cooler than being a network-addicted self-defeatist. My only regret this month is that it's been hectic and I haven't inputted as much into my database as I would have liked. I still need to explore a recent idea I had about the Capitoline Triad (the three most important deities in the Etruscan pantheon) being behind some of the phrases in the Liber Linteus.

As usual, this is an ongoing project that welcomes logical debate about the Etruscan language. There should be no confusion at this point as to my insistence on strict methodology and attention to detail. I'm determined to base my translations on something more sensible than ad hoc comparisons with foreign languages as I find constantly in the prevailing literature on the Etruscan language. If a translation is not grounded in the context of the artifact on which an inscription is found, ignores grammatical structure and/or applies multiple meanings to the same word in different contexts, then these status quo translations cry out for improvement by brave souls who aren't afraid of stepping on a few academic toes to seek out a theory more worthy of modern linguistics.

0 comments:

Post a Comment